28 SEPTEMBER 2017
Announcements and News
- UKCDS announces the Chair of the new HMG Strategic Coherence of ODA-funded Research (SCOR) Board, Professor Peter Piot - UKCDS
- UKRI Board members have been announced by Science Minister, Jo Johnson – gov.uk
- Brexit researchdeal has been struck between the UK and US, which aims to make it easier for researchers to travel, collaborate and share facilities - BBC
- Wellcome Trust has launched the Together Science Can campaign - a global campaign to unite researchers and institutes around the world to protect vital international scientific collaboration - Wellcome Trust
- Innovate UK has announced a new £7.3m production unit at Oxitec, which will help battle mosquito-borne diseases – gov.uk
- UN Foundation and Wellcome Trust have published a report during the UN General Assembly on the progress made in global antimicrobial resistance (AMR) fight - CIDRAP
- WHO announced that measles no longer endemic in 79% of the WHO European Region, and has been totally eliminated for the first time in the UK - WHO
- DH and Innovate UK funding call & activities for UK-China innovation collaboration to tackle AMR. Range of pre-call activities from 02 October 2017.
- EPSRC has 16 fully funded postgraduate studentships at the Centre for Doctoral Training in Medical Imaging. Deadline: Ongoing.
- Newton RCUK-Colciencias Research Partnerships pre-call announcement 2017. Deadline: 30 November.
- BBSRC-Brazil (FAPESP) joint funding of collaborative research proposals in any area of science that is within the remit of both BBSRC and FAPESP. Deadline: 04 October 2017.
- LIDC Interdisciplinary SEED fund for new collaborative research projects in international development between academics from at least two different Bloomsbury Colleges. Deadline: 10 October 2017.
- Newton Fund Researcher Links Biodiversity Travel Grants in Latin America. Deadline: 13 October 2017.
Reports and events
- Bond: Developing an advocacy strategy course in London, 2 October 2017.
- Newton Fund: Rethinking food: the creativity of entrepreneurship workshop in London, 3-6 October 2017
- Newton Fund: Workshop to promote collaboration and coordination between research funding institutions in Indonesia, 15 November 2017. Deadline for application is 9 October.
- GCRF: Midlands Regional Engagement event presentations from 14 September are now available to download.
- ICAI: GCRF has the potential to help address major global development challenges, but risks being spread too thinly to achieve transformative results.
- SciDevNet: Genetic markers found against deadly cassava viruses.
Other news and interesting links
- Scientists, supported by EPSRC, have made a crucial step towards unlocking the “holy grail” of computing – microchips that mimic the way the human brain works to store and process information – Exeter University
- Getting African researchers involved in climate science – SciDevNet
- Every childhood vaccine may go into a single jab - BBC
- Blog on the biggest challenge in bringing Southern research to bear on global issues - INASP