11 AUGUST 2017
Announcements and News
- UK leads final push to make polio history – DFID News
- Global Challenges Research Fund pre-announcement of four new calls: Mental Health, Education & skills, Decent work for all and; Transition towards sustainable & inclusive societies – ESRC News
- Nine university and business research projects awarded funding totalling £177 million – HEFCE News
- Professor Tony McEnery appointed as interim ESRC Chief Executive – ESRC News
- A push to end the global HIV epidemic – Guardian Development Network
- NERC is undertaking an evaluation of its support for Early Career Researchers (ECRs) – NERC news
- The MRC & Vietnamese Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) Partnership for Infectious Disease Research: 2017 workshop on 10-12 October. Deadline: 8 September.
- RCUK & National Commission for Scientific Research and Technology (CONICYT) invite applications to the Newton RCUK-CONICYT Broadening Impact Call 2017 on Energy-Food-Water-Environment nexus. Deadline: 3 October.
- BBSRC-Brazil (FAPESP) joint funding of collaborative research in any remit of science with BBSRC and FAPESP remit. Deadline: 4 October.
- RCUK & National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) announce they will shortly be launching the UK-China AMR Centre Partnerships Initiative under the umbrella of the Newton Fund. Deadline: 8 February 2018.
Reports and events
- ODI: Why do countries become donors? Assessing the drivers and implications of donor proliferation report
- GAGE programme: Young adolescence and digital media: Uses, risks and opportunities in LMICs report
- University of Sussex: Food security and sustainability in a changing world in Brighton, 7 September
- LSHTM: Emerging antibiotic resistance: how can resource-limited settings turn the tide?London, 8 September
- Westminster Forum Project Events: The future for international research partnerships: responding to Brexit, the Newton Fund and new relationships in London, 17 October
Other news and interesting links
- Supporting mothers with depression and HIV to help children thrive – Insight MRC
- Drones and phones: how mobile tech is fighting global diseases - LSHTM
- Latin America bioinformatics project attracts criticism - SciDevNet
- IDS Annual Lecture on ‘The complexities of success: Globalisation, inequality and economic insecurity in China and India’ with Jayati Ghosh – IDS News