Announcements and News
- Universities and Science Minister confirms that the government is investing £100 million to attract highly skilled researchers to the UK with new Ernest Rutherford Fund – BEIS
- How the Foreign and Commonwealth Office invests in developing countries – FCO
- Minister celebrates world-class forest research – DEFRA
- Secretary of State for International Development Priti Patel’s speech at ‘What the world needs from Global Britain’ event – DFID
- UK co-hosts international Family Planning Summit – DFID
- Chief Medical Officer annual report 2016: Generation Genome – Department of Health
- Professor Sir Mark Walport outlines the vision for UK Research and Innovation – BBSRC
- Head to the UKCDS Funding Landscape page to find out about funding opportunities, including GCRF and the Newton Fund
- UK-China-Philippines-Thailand Swine and Poultry Research Initiative invite applications. Deadline: 13 July 2017.
- ESRC-ICSSR Newton call for collaborative research on urban transformations in India. Deadline: 1 August 2017.
- Applications open for the Newton Fund UK-China Agritech Challenge 2017. Deadline 2 August 2017.
- Confidence in Global Nutrition and Health Research: Institutional “pump-priming” awards to develop new opportunities in Global Nutrition and Health Research from MRC. Deadline: 14 September 2017.
- Applications open for EPSRC scheme Resilient and sustainable energy networks for developing countries. Deadline: 21 September 2017.
- Pre-announcement: UK-India Newton-Bhabha Fund joint call on pulses and oilseeds from BBSRC, DBT India and Newton-Bhabha Fund. Deadline: Autumn 2017
- Building resilience to natural disasters using financial instruments – Announcement of Opportunity from ESRC, NERC and DFID. Deadline 26 September 2017.
- BBSRC-Brazil (FAPESP) joint funding of research open to applications. Deadline 4 October 2017.
Reports and events
- IDS: Green Investment Diagnostics for Africa: What are the Binding Constraints to Investment in Renewables in Kenya and Ghana?
- ODI: Education, migration and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- THET: In Our Mutual Interest
- LSHTM: Ebola in Guinea: How the outbreak and response differed to neighbouring West Africa nations, in London, 11 July 2017
- SOAS: Seminar on War, Fear, Empathy and Music, in London 22 July 2017
- University of Oxford: Demography, Ageing and Health, in Oxford, 26-28 September 2017
Other news and interesting links
- Collaborating to develop sustainable energy in Africa – Infrastructure Intelligence
- How HIV became a matter of international security – Mosaic Science
- We’re proud to be part of Pride in London – Wellcome
- Beating malaria: mobilising support for a malaria-free future (film) – Malaria Consortium
- Monitoring the UK’s interactions with developing countries – Development Monitor
- UK research chief ‘will not direct science’ - BBC
- 11 recommendations for better Research and Innovation programmes and the Paris Agreement opportunities – New Europe