2 MARCH 2017
Announcements and News
- The deadline for the consultation on the Research Excellence Framework (REF) for 2021 is fast approaching (17 March). UKCDS' briefing paper provides a summary of the REF2014 process and proposed changes in REF2021 of particular relevance to development research.
- Lauranne Botti and Prof Carel IJsselmuiden share with us What is the Research Fairness Initiative (RFI) and how was it created?
- UKCDS’ Yaso Kunaratnam delivered a Research2Action webinar discussing the findings from our Striking the Balance report
- Wellcome Trust have announced their five goals for 2017 including ensuring the world is better prepared for the next epidemic and pushing R&D for health up the global political agenda.
- For the 6th edition of Global Strategic Trends the team would like to hear from authors for original papers on: Energy, food & food security, Macroeconomics, finance & markets; Resources & Materials, Water & water security and waste. Email DCDC’s Futures team
- UK aid and research funding is helping to transform lives in Bangladesh, MPs told – ESRC News
- ESRC, the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) in India, Department for International Development (DFID), and the Medical Research Council (MRC), are inviting proposals under a call to fund global health research addressing the health needs of women and children globally. Deadline 12 April 2017. Register for the webinar on 8 March about the call.
- NERC and ESRC are looking to appoint a Knowledge Exchange (KE) Fellow for the Increasing Resilience to Natural Hazards (IRNH) in Earthquake-prone & Volcanic Regions research programme. Deadline 27 April.
- The BBSRC-Brazil (FAPESP) joint funding for research programme is open for applications. Deadline 27 April.
Reports and Events
- Global priority list 12 superbugs threatening global health to guide research, discovery, and development of new antibiotics - WHO
- The policy briefing Responsible Research and Development: The Ethics of Dangerous Science outlines the insights from a workshop around responsible innovation and ethics in research.
- Evaluation of DFID Online Research Portals and Repositories
- Royal Society Climate change: catastrophe, hoax or just lukewarm? in London on 6 March.
- LIDC – DTC Seminar series: Researching Gender, Health and Development in Latin America in London in the afternoon, 8 March.
Other news and interesting links
- An online tool that helps researchers and public health workers track epidemics in real time has won the Open Science Prize. – Wellcome Trust
- Unleashing the power of the private sector (Tackling climate change) – The Daily Star
- 12 top tips for writing a grant application – MRC blog
- New research shows that the performance of students who accessed higher education through social inclusion policies in Brazil was equal and sometimes even better than that of their peers – SciDev.net